Monday, June 15, 2009

Worth the six-year wait.

As I continue waiting for my first CSA delivery (2 more days!), I am distracting my foodie obsession with other delights. This weekend I finally tried an Italian treat that I was hoping to sample on my honeymoon in Rome six and a half years ago. At the time, I was too distracted by gnocchi with Gorgonzola sauce in Campo dei Fiori, paninis in Villa Borghese, suppli on Via Veneto and hazelnut gelatto at every gellateria we saw. Oh, and the occassional bottle of wine (I still buy Frascati when I want to be transported back to that amazing trip). One side note about suppli: if you have never tried these fried balls of risotto stuffed with mozzerella and prosciutto, then you must add this treat to your bucket list. I make it at home now and then (when I can work up enough courage to actually deep-fry something. Seeing that much oil in one spot can send shivers down my spine). Every chop, boil and fry is worth that first bite.

But this weekend, I finally (FINALLY) tried what I have missed out on all these years: stuffed zucchini blossoms, courtesy of L'Amante in Burlington, Vermont. It was undoubtedly worth the wait. My Williams-Sonoma cookbook Rome says that zucchini blossoms are often stuffed with mozzerella and deep-fried (ohhhh yeah), but can also be added to pasta sauces, risotto or frittatas. Not only did L'Amante deep-fry their version, but they dolled it up with so much flavor I could have eaten another antipasti portion as my entree (except for the fact that I absolutely swooned over my entree of basil ravioli topped with eggplant parmigiana...).

Picture this (since taking an actual photo somehow didn't seen appropriate in the middle of dinner with friends): a delicate, fresh squash blossom stuffed with taleggio (a mild, melty, buttery cheese), then dipped in a light tempura-like batter and fried to a delicate crispness, and finished off with a drizzle of sweet honey and rich truffle oil. While I was shamed into sharing with the other three people at my table, I still had an ample portion to savor (and I also tried each of their antipasti: grilled calamari, steamed mussels and prosciutto with grilled bread and fig jam).

Maybe, with any luck at all, my container zucchini plant will produce a few blossoms later this summer that I can snag and experiment with my own stuffed zucchini blossoms. Or maybe I'll leave this one up to the experts and find my way back to L'Amante pronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin