Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Warm Asian Potato Salad

My week four CSA arrived with some pretty impressive looking greens. The colors were really appealing, and practically shouted "I am a summer vegetable!" I was most excited, though, for some of the non-greens produce - red potatoes, an amazing amount of carrots, broccoli (which I later discovered had nice, peppery taste to it - so much more flavor than the grocery variety), plus a kohlrabi.

This was my first experience with kohlrabi, which Pete's Greens, my CSA farm, describes as "a member of the cabbage family... Raw, it is crisp, sweet and clean, strikingly reminiscent of raw broccoli stalks." They go on to describe how it tastes cooked ("milk, nutty, cabbage-like flavor"), but honestly I never found that out. I experimented with kohlrabi raw, plain, by itself, and didn't have much leftover after that. I had just enough to shred into a cole slaw, which was a wonderful addition.

Potato salad, though, is a front-runner for my favorite summer dish. I'm particularly partial to creamy potato salads with a hint of mustard or an addition of pickles. With week four, though, I was looking for something a little different to accompany some stir-fried shrimp and veggies. I found a warm Asian potato salad on GoodHousekeeping.com that fit bill. It used a few ingredients from CSA (potatoes, green onion, cilantro), but I mainly liked it for its simplicity. This recipe really lets the ingredients and flavor combinations speak for themselves, and was a nice change of pace from traditional summer potato salads.

Warm Asian Potato Salad
From GoodHousekeeping.com

1-1/2 lbs fingering potatoes (I used red)
1-1/4 t salt
2 T seasoned rice vinegar (I used regular rice vinegar)
2 T olive oil
1 t Asian sesame oil
1 small red pepper, thinly sliced
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1/2 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced (I left this out because I didn't have one)
1/2 cup (loosely packed) fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped

In a 4-quart saucepan, place potatoes, 1 t salt, and enough water to cover; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain.

Meanwhile, in medium serving bowl, with wire whisk, mix vinegar, olive oil, sesame oil, and remaining 1/4 t salt until blended. Stir red pepper, green onion, jalapeno, and cilantro into dressing.

When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut each lengthwise in half. Immediately add potatoes to bowl with dressing; toss to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin